Wednesday, February 10, 2010

FAMILY RULES

1.) No hitting
2.) No yelling (including momma)
3.) No spitting
4.) No peeing in undies
5.) Stay in time out
6.) Take turns with toys
7.) Clean up toys
8.) Listen to mom and dad
9.) Be nice and say nice things

I got the idea of a big poster of family rules from my neighbor/friend Shauna. The kids helped me create the rules and we have the poster hanging in the kitchen. The rules are hanging on the patio door and have been hidden by the curtains since it's cold and the curtains help keep drafts out. Apparently, having the rules hidden must mean they are not valid.

I would like to publicly apologize to the nurse that attempted to take my 2 yo son's temperature. I regret to say that he violated #3 and spit at the nurse. Thankfully it was more of a "sherbet" spit and no secretions went flying but still. I would also like to publicly apologize to my 2 yo son's swim instructor. He violated #2, #8 and #9 for the entire 15 minutes of his swim lesson.

We discipline with time outs and they mostly work (unless he violates #5 but then he's put right back on the time out mat [over and over if necessary]). He did apologize to both the nurse and swim instructor. In addition to discipline I keep hoping these behaviors improve as he ages/matures/learns to communicate better. But another mom just mentioned that age 3 was worse than age 2 for her son. Yikes! We could be in trouble here.

5 comments:

Staci said...

That's a good reminder for me! I've been meaning to get a rules poster made and put up. We have one in the girls' room now with "sleep rules" and that worked pretty well for them. Now that the sleeping and staying bed thing is not an issue (most of the time) I've been meaning to make a new one with general house rules. I love your apology with number references. That made me laugh.

Shauna Kathleen said...

LOVE your rules! ;) LOL! I just want to hug little Harrison! What an ornery little cutie-pie!!! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG! He's related to Kevin! Good luck, my dear! LOL!!!
Aunt Mady

Heather said...

We are still working on #1 and closely related "No scratching" and "No pulling hair" with Tucker at our house. I can't imagine working up to #9 just yet! I am returning to the blogosphere and catching up--it is so good to read about your family! Big hugs to you all and let me know if you might get out to CO in the spring and summer ahead as we would love to see you.

Emily Hood said...

Don't Tell My Parents That!!!!!!!!!!!LOL