Sunday, July 24, 2011

First Camping Trip

We survived the first family camping trip. I should rephrase that to say we didn't melt on our first family camping trip. It was a HOT one. Randy gave a talk on rockets and even launched a few model rockets for the campground. His talk was great, as always. This was Randy's first talk the kids have been to. I've pictured them tagging along when he does community outreach talks. But that will have to wait. They did pretty good, probably as good as can be expected from being 3 and 5 yo and being quiet for 30ish minutes in 90+ heat. From their mom's perspective they moved their lawn chairs way too much and way too close to the stage (while flashing me a naughty smile) and fought over a water bottle. Henry even decided to baby talk and he's not so quiet anymore. But again it was at a campground so no one seemed to notice (or care).

Our family friends hung out at our campsite and the kids all enjoyed s'mores and catching lightning bugs. We went to bed at a reasonable hour (for a family with young kids) but not reasonable in campground terms (drunk people without kids who were LOUD). I don't think the drunkos woke Randy or I up anymore than we would have woken from the HEAT. I feel the need to capitalize any word with heat or hot because the HEAT was HOT. Around 3AM I checked the temp and it was 75. I'm pretty sure that was as cool as it got. The nice part of waking every 15 min was seeing our family sprawled in a tent together under the stars. Both Randy and I agreed on that the next morning. And yes, we paid back our drunko neighbors by waking up at the crack of dawn. Before the HOT HEAT set back in we enjoyed breakfast, swimming at the beach and Henry and I got in a little nap in the tent while the kids and Randy continued their beach/swimming fun.

Overall a successful camping trip. I foresee many, many, many more!





No comments: