Thursday, June 15, 2006

Brita Minda

What a name. Although it's pretty easy to pronounce it's still rather weird. Brita Minda was my first cabbage patch kid. I was about 9 (I think) when the cabbage patch craze began. My mom had a friend buy Brita Minda in MN and mailed it to SD. I remember she called me to the bank (where she worked) and gave her to me right then. She couldn't even wait until she was finished working. Probably with the look of pure excitement on my face my mom knew this purchase was worth it. I filled out Brita Minda's birth certificate and became a proud mother of a new baby with a signature on her behind. A few years later I also adopted David Michael. David Michael is a pretty common name but he didn't come with that name. Oh no, it was some bizarre name that I couldn't pronounce. I changed his name on his birth certificate. I took these things really serious, can you tell??!! Well last night was the ceremony...the handing over of Brita Minda to Lily. I was so pleased to see Lily's reaction was a huge smile and squeal. I don't know what I would do if she didn't like dolls. Although Lily didn't treat Brita Minda too kindly (lots of hair pulling), I know Brita Minda will be around for many, many years.


Lily has already received her first cabbage patch but it's still in the box. My mom got one for a Christmas present. Want to know her name???? It's Lily Joy! My mom special ordered it. I neglected to mention above that I adopted a 3rd cabbage patch kid. My mom bought my 3rd one when I was in college for a present. Too funny! I think my mom has the cabbage patch kid craze and is passing it onto me as I will pass it onto Lily.

4 comments:

Staci said...

Awesome! I broke out Ava Noelle and Bernice Darlene (both original names) for Marianne last fall, but she's never been that thrilled. Then her cousin gave her her first CBK of her own for Christmas. Nilsa Concetta. No joke! I suggested we call her Connie or something, but Marianne insists on Nilsa. Remember when they came out with the "international" line of CBKs? They had strange names, but got cool ethnic costumes to go along. These names just seem bizarre and the clothes aren't so great anymore, either. Oh well. At least the legacy lives on at your house!

Renee said...

So cute.
I need to get myself a baby girl so I'll have someone to appreciate my own Cherylynne.

Jenni said...

Ava Noelle and Cherylynn are pretty decent names. Bernice Darlene is out there! I don't recall the international dolls but do you remember the premies? I never had one but my friend, Mel, did. I assume they determine "premie" to be inappropriate since now they are called babies. Could you imagine kids saying they want a premie?

Staci said...

I wanted a premie! I always did - a tiny baby cabbage patch kid. But I can see what you're saying. It's not very politcally correct to request a prematurely born baby of your very own.