Monday, July 10, 2006

Our summer vacation (if you can call it that)

was spent in the great states of Iowa and South Dakota. We had a very nice time with family and friends. We saw most everyone a few times but never, not once, went to see a movie. We giggled and joked about how many movies we would see since we would have plenty of babysitters. But no, not one movie did we see. We did have plenty of babysitters but once Lily was asleep we weren't too interested. Here is the low down of our trip:
Left Friday night at 8PM, arrived in IA around 6AM. This worked well since Lily slept the whole time. Both Randy and I shifted into driving mode and only stopped once for gas and to change drivers. Good CDs and caffeine helped. After napping Saturday and seeing the in-laws we spent the afternoon at my family's house. My bro, sis-in-law and baby nephew were visiting too. Lily and Connor hung out until we went to Randy's bro's BBQ. Sunday Randy played paintball while I hung out at my family's house and visited with my friends, Mel and Kerry, and their little girls at the pool. Sunday night was enjoyed at Grandma McGuire's house for the weekly dinner but also celebrated my cousin Courtney's b-day. Lots of b-days, right? Well Sunday was also my sis-in-law's and Kerry's b-day too! Geez, there must be frequent snowstorms in November or something. After Lily went to sleep we went to Roni's house, Kerry's moms, and played board games. We love board games! :)

Monday was busy with visiting my mom-in-law for breakfast, visiting with Brophy and his mom, hanging with Randy's family and then taking a family picture. The photographer was very good and patient (8 adults and 6 kids!!)and the pics turned out pretty good. We went to dinner that night for bro-in-laws b-day. Tuesday was the 4th and filled with hanging with in-laws during the morning then BBQ at my uncle's in the afternoon. We played the bean bag game and badminton, which was a lot of fun. Lily enjoyed watermelon and being rocked by her Grandma McGuire. She had a cute July 4th outfit. Pics to come, forgot camera at home today. :(
Tuesday night after Lily went to sleep we went to my aunt Sue/uncle John's house for fireworks and home made ice cream with Grandma McGuire's yummy chocolate sauce. I'm happy to report that Randy, my bro and cousins all survived the fireworks display in one piece, but did provide some good laughs when we thought they should be moving faster then they were.

Wednesday included breakfast with mom-in-law and some shopping. Wednesday night Randy played paintball while I hung out in J-town with my family. We went to the Whitehorse for all you can eat sweet corn. If you have never eaten SD sweet corn you have missed out. It's so good! Went back to IA until Thursday. I met my mom, Mel, her husband Josh and Gracie for lunch at Casa in J-town. Best Mexican food around! Lily was sleeping when we were supposed to go so she stayed with Randy and his family. Thursday night I dropped Lily off with my mom while I joined Randy's family to cheer on our nephew, Hunter, for his tee ball game. Back to IA until Friday morning when I spent the day with my mom and aunt Joleen. Lily hung with Randy and his family all day. We had dinner with Jim and Braden (randy's friends from high school) then hung with the in-laws until Lily went to sleep AND then left for CO.

Wow, that's quite a trip. It helps to write it out otherwise it all seems like a clouded memory. I probably missed some things here and there but you get the big picture. Maybe you understand why it's not exactly what I call a vacation. But I wouldn't choose a sunny beach over visiting family. But it would be a bonus to visit family on a sunny beach.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Maybe just a sunny beach once in a while between family visits. You know, for good measure.

I'm looking forward to our own week with lots of babysitters but no movies coming up :). Glad you're back!