Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Stuffy nose suggestions????

I don't usually elicit advice but I'm all ears. I need suggestions for a baby with a stuffy nose. We have a warm mist humidifer, saline drops, nose sucker, and we elevate his bed.

Harrison will start off the night just fine but come 3AM he gets stuffy and sometimes so stuffy he wakes up from it. He can't take a pacifier and eating is difficult because he can't breathe. I typically put a few drops in his nose before bed and then at 3AM I use more drops and try to suck out as much snot as possible. Most babies hate it but Harrison smiles afterwards, happy to breathe again.

This has been going on 2-3 weeks now and poor baby needs some relief.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Here from Staci's. I have a little boy who is about a month younger than yours (born 9/18). We had the same stuffy nose issue for a couple of weeks - after 2/3 AM, he couldn't sleep anymore because he was so stuffy. As soon as I eliminated all of the dairy and soy products from my diet, his stuffiness when away. It might be worth a try.

Jenni said...

NO!!! Seriously??? Oh my...my daughter and husband have dairy allergies so it's not a shock it could be from dairy. But...my daughter tolerated my breast milk and didn't show her allergy until 11 months when I gave her cheese. I don't eat/drink much dairy but eliminiating soy too??? I could try it for a week and see if it helps though. Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it!

Emily said...

I have dairy allergies (can only eat cheese and yogurt once and a while) and my daughter (just turned two) has the same, so it didn't surprise me. The only reason I eliminated soy also was that my doctore suggested it. I haven't wanted to try adding it back to my diet for fear that the stuffiness will go away. Good luck.