Monday, December 03, 2007

A Griswald Christmas

I complained to Randy that our usual Christmas tree purchase is b-o-r-i-n-g. Not like Nathaniel and Staci's tree buying ritual they are starting this year that includes hot cocoa (Randy and Lily can't drink anyway), hot dogs, bonfires and a family photo. How fun! Buying a Christmas tree at our local grocery store has never been exciting and now that I know fun tree farms exist I was even more annoyed when we pulled up to the grocery store. But...it wasn't a dull experience after all.

Our front room has high ceilings and we have always wanted a tall tree. But we have never bought one due to the cost. Our max budget was $50 and that doesn't buy much any place other than the grocery store. I waited in the van with 2 sleeping kids while Randy evaluated the trees. He found some tall ones and they were only $43! Score. He went inside to pay but returned to the van to ask if I had $20 in cash. I hardly ever have cash on hand and he didn't explain why he needed it. I didn't think much of it other than it was a strange question. After Randy tied the tree down and we drove off he told me the grocery store clerk, who was working outside with the Christmas trees, offered Randy a chance to save a few bucks by slipping this guy $20 instead of paying the full price. Not only were we getting a tall Christmas tree but we would only pay $20! Score. But we didn't have $20 in cash. :( Randy thought it was better since we weren't ripping anyone off. I didn't feel the same way since I wasn't looking for the deal, it approached us. Anyhow we paid full price and brought our tall tree home.

Randy got the tree into our house and it barely fit into the tree stand. He proceeded to cut the twine and pulled down on the branches a little. That is when we discovered our "tall" tree was ginormous! Not only is it tall, probably 10 ft tall, but it's rather wide, taking up a great part of our front room.

Our Griswald tree also included free critters. Randy first noticed tiny bugs crawling around and I've discovered a stink bug and a lady bug. Of course we were happy to have a lady bug as a guest but a stink bug, no thanks. We're waiting for the squirrel to jump out but so far it hasn't happened.

Randy pointed out that we finally have a fun Christmas tree buying story and I have to agree.

1 comment:

erbiegirl said...

i would have to agree....i always did the cutting down tree thing with my dad. i think next year i will instigate that. this year, it was Home Depot. can't wait to see a pic of your tree! if you can go big - go GINORMOUS!