Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Happy Birthday Randall!

In honor of my hubby's 37th birthday yesterday, I'm going to let the world know about 37 things I love about him.  In no particular order...

1.)  He's hot.  I innocently stalked him for months because he was the hot guy that worked a few stores away from me in the mall.  Hey, no judging.  Who didn't stalk when they were 17?

2.) He plays piano.  Really good.  On our 2nd "date" I picked him up at his house and when I rang the doorbell I heard piano music.  He was playing Open Arms by Journey.  Coincidence?  No, he knew what he was doing.

3.) He's smart.  Not just smart but smart.  He would roll his eyes about any bragging but it's true.  He's not just well educated about supernovas, soft x-rays and sub-orbital rocket payloads but he knows a lot about well, everything.  Someone could ask a random question and he will know the answer.  I frequently tell him he could just be making stuff up and everyone will believe him.  Maybe next time I should fact check him.  

4.) He's loved by my family.  I have deeply felt for many years he is more loved than I am.  By my own mother.  

5.) He's proud to be the baby of his family.  I'm not the baby so this concept is crazy to me but I've seen it with my own eyes.  He will say "I wish I had apple pie".  And it appears.  He will think (without saying a word) that he's hungry for his favorite pizza.  And it appears. One thing that always coincides with these strange occurrences is that they only happen when his mom is around. :)

6.) He's a good boy.  Tied closely to #5.  His mom does those things for him because he's a good boy.  She raised him to be a good boy and whatever she did, she did it right.  

7.) He's a good masseuse.  My neck and my back thank him.

8.) He's a funny guy.  He says "cool story" way too much but other than that I find him funny.

9.) He can cook a mean breakfast.  Eggs and pancakes are 2 specialties   Yum. 

10.) He's protective.  He always keeps me in his reach while getting through crowds.  

11.) He reads.  We don't usually read the same type of books (we gave Harry Potter a cute couple attempt but it only put me straight to sleep).  He recently recommended a book he read and I'm currently enthralled in it.  Maybe someday he'll read something I recommend.  Probably not but I don't blame him.  

12.) He calms me.  Like no other.  Just having him in my vicinity keeps me calm.  

13.) He's a dandy, handyman.  I showed him some pictures of a long shelf with hooks that I really wanted but couldn't find in stores.  Guess what he's been working on?  Yep, he's mine.

14.) He's my bedwarmer.  

15.)  He's likeable.  This guy has friends.  Friends from childhood, friends from college, friends from graduate school, friends from work, friends from all over the world.  He had 10 groomsmen in our wedding and if he could of had more he would have.  

16.) He loves his nieces and nephews.  He might punch them in the arm.  Hard. But he truly loves them. 

17.) He's up for adventure.  He's a snowboarder.  Loves roller coasters.  Really loves ultimate frisbee.  Really loves ultimate frisbee.  Yes, I meant to report that twice.  

18.) He's not afraid to admit any grouchiness is 100% related to hunger.  If he was Edward his dark eyes would warn me.  Not that I want him to be Edward.  Not at all.  

19.)  Speaking of Edward, he takes me to see Twilight movies. And doesn't complain.  

20.) He has great taste in music.  He has a knack for finding talent before the radio stations start playing them over and over.  

21.) He goes to the kids' school to teach them about rockets and meteorites.  How cool is it to have your daddy teach your class?  And be his helper when he launches rockets for your friends. 

22.)  He's a good dresser.  He might get a lot of grief from Ted, but he can dress.  And #1 is a reflection of this.

23.) He's a good daddy.  He's good with every part of parenthood.  He's good with the baby stage, toddler stage, older kid stage.  He's good running the house and kids when I'm away.  He can take all 3 kids to the mall (on a cold, rainy Saturday)  without a second thought.

24.) He is 100% fine when I take girl trips.  Yay me!

25.) He's a good teacher.  He frequently gets fantastic comments from students on their teacher reviews.

26.) He's a good saver and a spender.  He has helped us become financially stable so I could quit working but he is balanced so we can enjoy an occasional dinner out/movie, etc.

27.) He helps me to organize my mental thoughts.  If something it taking up too much thought and causing stress he helps me see this which in turn, helps me focus my energy on more important things.

28.) He helps me prioritize my projects.  Even before Pinterest I had multiple, grand crafty ideas; however, it frequently led to stress, spending too much money, taking too much time and not always getting the result I hoped for.  I've been presenting my ideas to him since he provides a truthful answer to which projects are worth my time and effort.

29.) He's supportive.  The main thing is that he supported the decision for me to quit work to stay home with the kids.  But he's also supportive when I recently joined a new gym (again).  He supports the kids in their hobbies and sports and doesn't push anyone to do anything they don't want to.

30.) He can bake.  He's made his mom's apple pie, sauerkraut soup, etc.

31.) He cleans!  He got home from work early a few days ago, before I got home with the kids, and we found him vacuuming.  With a smile on his face.

32.) He plays with the kids.  Everyday.  He plays legos, trains, he draws and colors, he wrestles, plays hide and seek, etc.  If the kids say "play with me, daddy" he always does.

33.) He has manners.  And uses them.

34.) He bought me a diamond ring last Valentine's Day.  I don't want to sound way too materialistic, I only included it here because of the way he did it.  He took Harrison shopping with him to buy it, kept it secret for 3 days before giving it to me in the exact same way he proposed to me.  Awwww.

35.) Speaking of keeping my ring a secret for 3 days, I love that he CANNOT keep present secrets.  He has shaken his gifts before to find out what they are (how does one shake a coffee grinder and KNOW it's a coffee grinder?).  Typically he will give me a present before my b-day because he cannot wait.  I can, he can't.

36.) If asked to keep a real (not present related) secret he will.  Even from his wife.  I normally feel the significant other can be excluded from the don't tell anyone else rule.  But I was impressed when a friend asked him to keep a secret and he did it.  Granted, I've learned of what the secret was at some point (not from Randy but from the friend that mentioned something,  thinking I knew the secret).  The friend and myself were very surprised.

37.) He loves me.  He first said "I love you" 3 weeks after we started dating and says it multiple times everyday since.  Even better is that his actions speak louder than words.

One doesn't always get the opportunity to tell the world but I have it via my blog so I want the world to know how much I love my husband. I love you baby.  You're awesome.   And I know your 37th year will be filled with a lot of fun, a lot of laughs and a lot of love from your family.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that YOU picked him up on your 2nd date! Did he plan that, too, so that you'd have to hear him playing? Happy Birthday, Randy!