Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Blogging about work

I am smart. I don’t blog about my job…until today. I won’t bash my company or my boss…actually I want to applaud them. My boss is very involved in helping the community, from working with kids in need to hosting fund raisers for all sorts of charities. My company is also very involved in the community. They paid everyone’s entry fee into the Susan B. Komen race and had a bake sale to benefit a therapeutic riding program. My smaller department is hosting a family in need for Christmas and we also have a giving tree where people take a tag with a person’s holiday wishes. The kicker…instead of having a big, fancy holiday party for the employees that included dinner and dancing at a very ritzy Denver hotel, they are offering the meal to people in need. The initial intention was to have the employee holiday party but changed their minds. I believe most employees are very happy, not only do they not have to attend a stuffy work function but we are actually helping people. Tomorrow night is the event and I have volunteered to be the story reader to help entertain the kids.

Ya know the movie, Pass It Forward, and the whole meaning behind the saying? Well, goodness is intoxicating and contagious. Randy and I are participating in the family to family holiday program. We told them how much we could afford and they matched us to an 8 month old baby girl in foster care. Her name is Arianna. My initial thought was that I wanted this baby girl. I wanted to get her out of foster care and in my home, where I know she is safe. Not that all foster homes are unsafe. I don’t know anything about this baby, besides needing clothes and toys. I haven’t stopped thinking about her all morning. I did some shopping for her over my lunch break and not only do I love to shop, but I felt so good doing it. I was doing something good for someone else.

I’m blogging about this as a way to “pass it forward.” I hope this holiday season will bring joy to your hearts and a great way to do that is to GIVE.

No comments: