Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Catching up

Lily: "Momma, guess what?"

Momma: "What, Lily?"

Lily: "Momma, guess what?"

Momma: "What, Lily?"

Lily: "Momma, guess what?"

This can go on and on.
**********************************

Lily is very into her friends lately. As I was dropping her off at daycare I saw a little boy going into daycare at the same time. I told Lily she could walk with Brayden to which she replied "I love Brayden." Saturday night we hosted a get together and Heather brought her daughter who is a year or so older than Lily. They ran throughout the house and Lily would call her "my fwend Manda."

A huge gain of independence has hit our house...Lily can open doors. It's a whole new story now. We used to shut her bedroom door because of the humidifer and the dogs but now she can (and does!) open the door preventing bedtime from happening by about 15 minutes each night. It's a fun game for her and she frequently will open and close doors, just because she can.

Lily has also been coming into our bed during the night. I'm not sure how long this will continue on the parents side but I do have to say she is very snuggly. As a baby we were very strict with her sleeping in her bed. She was so used to her own crib that when we needed her to sleep with us a few times she tossed and turned and played and hardly slept (as did her parents). Now she is used to it, will open her door, walk into our room calling out for momma or poppa and we pull her into bed. She snuggles right in between us and last night I woke up twice to her arm on my shoulder. I loved it. But...she also rotates 180 degrees and sometimes I wake up to a nice kick in the face.

Harrison is almost sitting on his own. He will sit up for 10-15 minutes without falling over but I can't leave his side just yet. When laying on a blanket he has the amazing ability to move from one side of the blanket to the other in the blink of an eye. He is a very happy baby and loves his big sister. He watches her every move. The other day I was carrying Harrison up the stairs and Lily was walking in front of us. For some reason he cracked up every time we all moved up one step. Harrison has become more vocal in the past few weeks. He will be "talking" in the car and Lily will laugh and talk back.

Harrison has been eating like we expected...like a champ. So far he has tried carrots, sweet potatos, squash, and peas. He hasn't yet met a food he hasn't liked.

Lily's recent adventure has been climbing. She will use her step stool and climb up the bar stools and sit on top of the kitchen island. She will push her step stool up to the high chair (we got out of storage for Harrison but big sister took it back over) and climb right in. This morning she bounced out of bed as Randy and I took our sweet time waking up. Lily went to brush her teeth but called out "I need help!" She climbed up the sink, turned on the faucet but couldn't get back down...her belly was stuck on the sink.

Harrison is sleeping pretty darn good. He is ready for bed between 7:30-8:00 PM. He does require 1-3 binkie replacements and might wake to eat around 4AM but it's much better than what it was. Last night he didn't wake to eat until 5:45AM but Randy did have to do binkie duty around 4AM when Harrison was probably expecting to eat.

Yesterday was an unusual day. Daycare was open and Randy worked but I didn't! I do have some feelings of guilt for not spending the day with the kids but I took a "mom mental health day." I used last year's Mother's Day gift certificate and got my nails done. I ran some errands and took a nap. It was very nice. Last night Lily noticed my toes and proclaimed "Pretty nails momma!" and then I showed her my fingernails and she said "Wow, pretty paint!" It's natural I tell ya!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...I can remember a little blonde girl who used to play that "Guess what game" when she was about 4! It was always followed by a series of giggles! Any idea who that giggle-meister might have been???

Oh, by the way, I loved the Carter Can episode. It made me miss you all though! When are you coming home?

Aunt Mady

erbiegirl said...

A-men to mom day. we need these every time and again to embrace the life we have with sanity.