Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Colorado's caucus

Per Heather's request...

I have never been to a caucus before last night. It wasn't what I was expecting. It took place in a local middle school gymnasium. The precincts were separated by tables. After I found my precinct table I signed in and chatted with the precinct captains. The doors closed at 7PM, no one in and no one out. We filled out a "straw poll" which basically said which candidate you were leaning towards. Then we separated into Obama and Clinton groups (oh yeah, I was at a Democratic caucus), nominated a speaker, and had 2 minutes to prepare a speech to the other group to persuade them to vote for our candidate. After each group gave their speeches we again voted, the final vote. I don't think anyone changed from their straw poll vote but I guess that is what the caucus is about.

Thankfully we had a nice guy take the speaker role and everyone participated in voicing their opinion to why they were voting for the candidate. What turned me off was the fluffy stuff like "Candidate X is for change, or Candidate Y gives me hope." I'm sorry but when we are trying to persuade someone to vote I would like to hear real, concrete facts. So not only did I vote to get my "voice" heard but I became a democratic delegate to help persuade others with specific examples. The delegate role is very basic and I'll attend a day long gathering to support my candidate and educate others. Didn't think of me as a delegate, right? Neither did I.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the post! I'm really interested in what it's like to be a delegate...do you start with some kind of local/regional meeting or is it a state gig? Maybe if you keep up the volunteerism you'll end up at the National Convention in Denver with all the policy wonks and celebrities--that could be a source of posting for weeks! :)

Jenni said...

Yes, my role as a delegate will be basic. I will attend a county day long meeting and educate others about my candidate. Unfortunately they told us up front we wouldn't be going to the National Convention. :( Doesn't mean I won't be on the look out for Obama and Oprah!

Anonymous said...

You're in good company. Andrew is a delegate too. That makes at least 5 of our close friends (through in different states and for both parties). I didn't attend the caucus, staying home with the girl, but I'm proud of great turn out.