Friday, April 17, 2009

Pivo! Pivo! And more Pivo!

Growing up we took a family vacation every summer. My mom saved money all year and planned and planned. We had some great ones too. We seemed to rotate Kansas City (Royals game, World's of Fun and Ocean's of Fun) with Minneapolis (Twins game and Valleyfair). Sometimes the folks would throw in camping or a trip to Adventureland. Good times and always enjoyed by myself and bros. Before each vacation I would get SOOOO excited. The kind of excitement that kept me up at night, too giddy to sleep. The kind of excitement that made a few days seem like forever away, the day we left for our vacation never came fast enough.

As I've grown up I haven't had those "kid" feelings as often. Taking trips is awesome and I love to travel but now either we travel with 2 little kiddos (excitement-NO, nervousness-YES) or we travel for work and usually alone. It's still fun to take a short trip back to Colorado and go shopping (and work!) but then we miss the kids terribly. It's usually good for the dad/kid bond to have me out of the picture for a few days but it's pretty hard on me. I always steal something of the kids to keep close at night...stuffed animal or blanket, so I can smell them at night when I'm lonely. Since having kids the only trip Randy and I have taken together, not work related, was here, to house hunt. Not exactly relaxing.

Our Prague trip is fast approaching and I'm so excited to report I have those feelings again, just like a kid. I can't wait!!!! If I start to think about leaving the kids I just start crying so I'm suppressing that for a bit. The in-laws and my mom, accompanied by Aunt Joleen and Gram are babysitting and most likely have spoiling on their mind. I know the kids will have a blast and I look forward to their daily chats, recalling what funny thing grandpa did or what grandma made for lunch. Lily is already requesting a blanket as her souvenir. She requested a blanket on our last trip but she got a snow globe instead. Guess cuddling up to a hard plastic dome isn't ideal and she really could use another blanket since apparently the other 5 thousand she owns don't work.

The countdown is T-2 days. Unfortunately for Randy he will be working a few days in Prague. But once his talks are over a huge weight will be lifted for a few months. I plan to leave all memories of work aside and, as recommended by a friend, sit and people watch and drink beer. In Prague. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you will have a blast! I can't wait to hear about the trip and see pictures.