Thursday, September 28, 2006

Oh fall, how I love thee

I love fall.
To me, it is the most beautiful time of the year. The colors are stunning; the air is crisp and refreshing. It’s the only time I absolutely can’t stand to be indoors during the day. For people that haven’t visited CO in the fall I highly recommend it. The change in color of the Aspen trees is a high priority for fall tourists. The bright yellow leaves mixed with shades of red, brown and occasional green is gorgeous. The best part…is the weather is “expected” to be nice (70’s-80’s) until next week. I’ve lived in CO long enough to know not to trust the weather but I’m holding out hope.

Another great thing about fall is the TV shows and football. It helps make the earlier sunset of fall tolerable. I tend to fall sucker to multiple shows: the OC, Survivor, Amazing Race, Grey’s Anatomy every once in a while, and MTV shows like Laguna Beach, Real World, Real World/Road Rules Challenge and if it’s not embarrassing enough I have caught a few episodes of Two-A-Day, okay, probably all of them. Wow, that sounds like a lot of TV. The only way I could watch all those shows is because of my friend. His name is Tivo. I love him. He brightens my day. When I turn on the TV and there is nothing on my 200 channels and I start to feel sad, I remember Tivo is saving some show for me to watch. Did I mention I love him? Tivo makes folding laundry, cooking going through piles of junk mail and cleaning the kitchen bearable.

Now I will chat about Football. Better known as to myself as… F-doubleO-T-B-A-doubleL, let’s play football. This is one of the cheers I remember from high school and probably will never be able to say “football” without chanting it in my head. I also clap and do the little squat and jump when I recite it to Lily. Kind of like my singing, you will never witness this. Good for you. Hawkeye football is very entertaining and because I have a blog I get to mention that the Hawks beat the Cyclones. Yay!!! My in-law side of the family is split pretty evenly with Hawks and Cyclones. My dear friend, Kerry, who never reads my blog, is also a dedicated Cyclone fan. She has season tickets-- she is that dedicated. When the Cyclones beat the Hawks last year (to be fair the Cyclones have won more than the Hawks in recent years…have no clue how) Kerry had to call and brag. I was at a wedding out of state and had no idea what was happening with the game…until I got her call. When I saw she called I knew the Cyclones won. Only the winning team fans can call anyone else and typically the losing team fans don’t answer. So yes, I contacted Kerry this year and had some fun. Her new man is a Hawk…which makes it even more enjoyable.

More about football…my nephew, Payton, wanted to participate in a family fantasy football league. Randy set it up and my bro, myself, Randy, Randy’s bro, Randy’s sis, her husband, Payton, Randy’s friend Moss and his parents are in a league…called Randy’s Cool. Again, to mention, Randy set up the league and apparently had naming rights. It’s fun. There is a little smack talking here and there. Playing fantasy football has pretty much eliminated my favorite teams. They weren’t exactly my favorite football teams, I was brainwashed. I liked the Dolphins cuz my bros like them and I also liked the Raiders cuz my uncle, Russ, liked them. I had no voice of my own, it was forced upon me from a young age. When I moved to CO I did enjoy informing Bronco fans that I was a Raider fan. Their faces usually dropped in disgust and inappropriate verbal statements were made. I’ve been involved in fantasy football over the past couple years between myself and helping Randy. Instead of watching one team I root for my fantasy football players. It really makes watching “dumb” games like the Chargers vs. Giants entertaining. If I did have to pick a favorite team it would be the Colts. I like Payton Manning and they have 2 good Hawkeyes.

No comments: