Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Lily washes her own mouth out with soap

No, she has not starting cussing…yet. But she has already tried the old soap in the mouth punishment. I didn’t do this…she did. Lily was intrigued by the soap during her bath last evening. So I gave it to her. I proceeded to laugh off every time she tried to pick it up and it slipped out of her hands. Being the determined child she is, once she grabbed onto it, digging her nails in, she performed a taste test. I’m not certain if she even tasted it before my motherly fast-as-lightening-reflex removed it from her mouth.

I don’t have a “trucker” mouth and what few cuss words I used before have been pretty much cleared from my vocabulary with the birth of my daughter. I definitely cannot cuss around my family. Randy surprises me when he cusses, and he doesn’t do it much, but when it’s around family I resort back to a few memories of “cussing.” When I was 9ish I was at Melissa’s house watching scary movies for her b-day party. Freddie Krueger scared the daylights out of me and elicited the response “Get that bastard” and Mel’s mom was pretty shocked. Luckily, she laughed but I did learn that word wasn’t appropriate. The next occurrence happened around age 10 or 11 when I said the phrase “pissed off.” Apparently, my mom considered this “cussing” and to this day, I can’t say it in front of family.

Along the lines of cussing and to again, show how crazy my family can be, I dare to share another cuss story with ya’ll. My mom rarely cusses and I had never heard her say the mother of all cuss words-- ya know that one that rhymes with truck. Well one night my family was sitting around a picnic table and we decided to try to get my mom to say this word. I need to mention, alcohol was involved. We all took turns using this word in a sentence to make her feel comfortable saying it. Some people, Melissa and my sis-in-law, went to somewhat extreme measures with their chosen sentence. This was the kind of situation that involved so much laughter we were crying. Finally, my mom did say it but probably went home and washed her mouth out with soap. Hmmm…now I see where Lily gets it.

2 comments:

Staci said...

Very nice - she prepunishes herself so she knows never to develop the bad habit. That should save you a lot of work!

Either that, or she develop a taste for soap, and then what'll you do to curb a foul mouth? Ruth will eat anything - she loves to lick lotion off her hands. It's so gross.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I remember both of those times, how come I am always involved when it comes to cussing? Gracie has said shit only because she heard her aunt Tracy say it and repeated it. Sometimes she tells the dog to sit and it sounds like shit so we laugh anyway!