Tuesday, October 10, 2006

8 Years Ago Today...


our sweet little niece, Sydney, was born. I remember getting the phone call saying she entered the world. I even had a feeling she would be born that day, before I received that call. I even told Randy so I’m not just saying that.

Sydney was a beautiful baby, lots of dark hair. Sydney has a very sweet look about her, you know she is a nice girl. Ever since Sydney was very young, her wild side has shown. I have many memories of Sydney running full speed, throwing her body against the sofa, falling backwards and laughing about it. The year after I graduated college, Randy and I moved back home before getting married and moving to CO. I was able to baby-sit Syd and her sis, Kelsey and bro, Payton during the summer. I helped potty train Sydney, which is a great accomplishment for me to say. Sydney and Kelsey were flower girls at our wedding. Kelsey was a great age, she understood she was dressed pretty and looked pretty and enjoyed every minute of it. Sydney was a little young but walked down the aisle and remained pretty calm during the 12 minute ceremony until…she jumped off the ledge and announced “da-da…da-DA!!!” while positioning her arms straight as if performing for an audience. Lucky for her there were 300 people in her audience but only the first few seats witnessed this and of course, giggled.

When Sydney started talking one of her favorite words was…poop. She would go around saying “poop, poopy, poop, poopy” over and over, watching to see which people would giggle at her. Any form of the word, she would say it. It was quite hilarious to see and hear.

Sydney is very talented with sports, especially my favorite, soccer. She has played for approximately 4 years and anyone that watches her sees her outstanding abilities to outrun the other team. Unfortunately this usually means the other teams use their elbows or other means to try and keep up with her. Maybe it’s all the years of throwing herself on and off the couch that made her a tough cookie. Or the years of beating up Randy and asking for return punishment. Sydney can throw a wicked punch and Randy receives a great deal of them. It’s very normal for us to go visit them and Syd’s greeting will be a punch in Randy’s stomach. Of course, he repays her by holding her arms while she tries to escape and this can go on and on.


Happy Birthday Syd! I am very thankful you’re in our lives; you’re a shining star that gets brighter and brighter. You keep us entertained even though you constantly say you’re bored. I am and will always be honored to be your God mother and will always try and be a good example for you (especially as a soccer goalie). I will call you today at 4:30 to wish you happy birthday as instructed by a note left on my microwave with this exact request. We love you Syd!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sydney is sure a cutie. Lily's lucky to have her cousins so close by to grow up playing with. I love her almost-first-birthday pic below...she's growing so fast!