Wednesday, March 11, 2009

One of THOSE mornings...

Once upon a time there was a little girl who loved to wear the same jean skirt.

This morning started with recurring discussion with Lily about her desire to wear her long jean skirt AGAIN. She wore it yesterday and we wanted her to wear something else. In case you forgot she's 3. Three. This discussion included many "no's," "don't ask again," tears, doors shutting, loud bawling, and angry grunts. This whole drama woke up Harrison who started crying too. Why not? Everyone else is unhappy why shouldn't he be? He wouldn't get out of the crib (although crying) for Randy so I had to get him out. And change is majorly pee soaked and poop filled diaper. Of course smells like roses. Ha. Finally get kids downstairs for breakfast. Forgot to mention at some point Lily put on her Snow White dress and cape (she wears it daily but only at home, that's another post-another day). Start kid's breakfast with multiple requests..."more sugar," "more strawberries," "more grapefruit," "more SUGAR for my STRAWBERRIES." Kiss Randy goodbye. Yell for dog who is missing. Harrison wants to see Randy leave so I run him to my office window, open curtains. Hear Lily request the same, run get her to window with instructions NOT to touch anything since her hands are sticky from strawberries and sugar. Run and grab wipe to clean her. Wave goodbye to Randy, not sure if he even sees us. Lily's not done eating so bring her back to the table and cut up more strawberries. Notice Harrison is quiet, find him standing on window seat. Take him down and get a strong whiff. Change another poopy diaper, this time seriously smells like grapefruit. Start worrying about another diaper rash. No more citrus fruit for the boy. Clean up Lily for a 2nd time. Change Snow White's dress into a skirt, shirt and tights WITHOUT tears! Put shoes on Lily and notice Harrison's shoes are already on (thanks Randy!). Start putting Harrison's coat on Lily, I laugh, she laughs, get her coat. Have Harrison's coat, no Harrison, find him sitting by fireplace looking at books. Sing "If you're happy and you know it..." while putting his coat on (since he was reading Elmo's book with this song). Get Harrison buckled into the van. Let Lily pick out fruit snacks and hear claws scratching on the window (missing dog returned). Let in disobedient dog. Grabbing my coat and I say in a deep but calm voice "WE REALLY HAVE TO LEAVE NOW!"--really wanting to yell but I contain myself. Lily thinks it's funny so she laughs, then I repeat it and she laughs more. That makes me feel better. Almost out the door before she requests a band aid for her finger. Instruct her I will get one but I get to pick it out. Slap on a hello kitty band aid on the invisible booboo. Get Lily buckled into car seat when she starts crying about her OTHER finger and requests Thomas (kid ice pack). Fine, going back into the house for my purse anyway. Grab Thomas and my purse, get into van, apply ice pack and leave the garage. Kids quiet. Turn on music...Mary J. Blige...good upbeat song. Harrison starts dancing. Get 3 minutes from home when I realize we don't have his blanket. Not only does he like his blanket at daycare but NEEDS it, he grabs it when he feels frustrated so I have to get it. Turn around...Lily recognizes this is wrong so asks multiple questions. Get home, run inside to grab blanket. Finally driving to daycare and my conversation with Lily went like this...
Lily talking about something.
I was listening to a commerical but when I realized she asked a question I said "What did you register for?"
Lily: Register??? Hahahaha.
Me: Hahahaha, sorry! What did you ask?
Lily: After we go to the pool this summer, can we go to the beach?
Me: Yes, we're going to the beach.
Lily: We can see sharks and dolphins?
Me: Maybe. We can swim in the swallow water where the sharks can't fit. They like deep water. But we can see lots of animals at Sea World.
Lily: SEA WORLD? I've never been there. Maybe we'll see baby sharks.
Me: Probably.
Lily: Maybe there will be a baby shark but his mommy and daddy have to work so we have to take care of him.
Me: Hmmmm.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I had to tell myself to start breathing when I stopped reading! The whole time I was visualizing your morning plus my own morning - phew! I have mornings like this quite often. You'd think having a 5 year old would ease things, which it does a bit because he dresses himself, but time is an issue for him and I have to keep reminding him of his task while getting myself and Audrey ready! Ahhhhh!!!! Kudos to you for keeping your cool, I need to work on that. :)

Heather said...

This was funny because it is so true. Every morning seems like a marathon of minutia these days at our house. It's really great that you managed to find the minutes to laugh with Lily and try to keep upbeat in the midst of the madness.

erbiegirl said...

LOL! I loved reading this! Especially the pretend boo boo part. you rock MOM!