Thursday, March 26, 2009

To cut or not to cut.

I've commented before about Harrison's hair. It's crazy and long and curly all at the same time. Randy and I keep going back and forth about cutting it. He mentioned buzzing it all off and thought this was a great idea until he pointed out a kid at the mall as an example. He continued to think it was a great idea until we got closer to the kid and realized nope, no gonna work. The buzz hair cut with the long tail...never. Bangs...well, I've never had good luck with bangs myself (warning high school girls-NEVER cut bangs on the day of homecoming, mothers-remove scissors from house if high school girl is freaking out about homecoming hair do) and I cringe thinking bangs could lead into a more girlie look or a mullet. Neither good options. I looked back through some of Harrison's older pics and I do like his shorter style around his first birthday so now I'm getting to a happier place about cutting it. On the other hand, if we continue to grow it the front will be long enough to sweep off his face. The hair covering his eyes is one of the main reasons I want to cut his hair although he doesn't seem to mind one bit. He still reads his books and eats his dinner all without noticing no one else in the room has their hair covering their eyes.
Clearly the hair style issue is mind boggling. So I thought I'd enlist my dear readers' opinions...opine away. To cut or not to cut.


Harrison's current crazy hairstyle on most days














Sportin' a shorter hairstyle



















Slightly longer, curls noticeable in back


















For about 5 minutes following a bath his hair is great.













These curls...why it's sooooo hard for me to cut his hair...these curls.

5 comments:

Liz Jimenez said...

Those curls certainly are super cute. I just got my son's hair cut over the weekend, but I didn't have adorable curls to contend with (or nearly as much hair in general).

And while I think Daniel's 'do was a bit *too* short, I find that I am a fan of shorter hair on boys. So my vote is to get a cut, but not a buzz. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like my boys in longer-ish hair myself, but as soon as it starts to hang in their eyes (where Henry's is at right now), I get it cut (reluctantly).

My little brother had gorgeous curls himself as a toddler and my sister and I convinced my parents to put off a haircut for a looong time...I think he may have been almost 3 by the time we cut the curls. It was a tragic day, and he looked so much older when they were gone, but still very cute.

Unknown said...

The curls are cute, but they're still there when it's short, right? I say print all of the pictures and take him to a stylist/barber and tell him/her your dilemma. They can offer their opinion and then decide how you want it cut. If you don't like the cut it will grow back!

Jenni said...

Renee-do you have pics of your bro? I seriously tried searching for toddler boy hair pics to see what "bangs" could possibly look like with longer hair but couldn't find anything similar to Harrison's hair.
I am also reluctant to cut because I'm scared of cutting off the curls to never have them return. My niece had beautiful curls like Lily and Harrison but when she got her hair cut around age 3 they never came back!

Finn said...

So, Heather and I have been going back and forth on Tucker. I feel he's ready for a trim - his hair is touching his ears. Heather disagrees. She feels he should have VISIBLE hair before getting it cut.

Although I've offered to perform the operation I've been turned down. But I say keep it high and tight. He'll get all hipster in the fullness of time.