Monday, December 11, 2006

Shopping for the man I love

My Christmas shopping is ALL done. All done. With one little exception. My husband. The most difficult person to buy for ever. I knew exactly what I was getting him…until I was ready to purchase it. Then I had 2nd thoughts. Would he really like it? Would he rather have something else? Would he smile and say “thanks” but really wish for another gift? My husband is the most difficult person to buy a gift for on the entire planet. Not only does he constantly torture me with 101 questions about his gifts but he has very detailed and has specific gifts in mind-making it impossible for me to buy something if he’s around. And if he is around then he changes his mind and wants to wait. I believe I am super easy to shop for. You buy me a candle, I’ll love it. Which makes it even harder when shopping for the man I love. I want to buy him something nice. I want to surprise him.

For his rocket launch and birthday present I put money aside for months. I wanted to get him something really nice, to celebrate a huge milestone in our lives. Finally I had enough money and wanted to buy him a nice table saw. He has stated numerous times he could really use one. I did my research, okay, not really but I emailed California Dave and my father-in-law who were way more knowledgeable about tools. I was ready to buy it until…Randy started in with a zillion questions, making me second guess myself. Instead I gave him money. No fun.

Another thing that makes gift buying for Randall difficult is when he sees the gift; he shakes it and has some super human power to know exactly what it is. A few years back, I gave him a coffee grinder. He shook it and said it’s a coffee grinder. You could imagine my facial expression. I’ve caught on and now “add” extra items to his gifts. It’s fun to throw him off with rocks.

3 comments:

Staci said...

Oh man. Thankfully Nathaniel doesn't hound me with questions about his gift, but I do find him the hardest person to shop for. I always think I have a great idea, then as the holiday approaches I'm constantly second guessing myself till, by the time he actually opens it, I'm convinced he'll hate it. He usually has to spend days telling me how much he loves it before I'll believe him. He thinks it's bizarre that I can give him great gifts but be so doubtful about how he'll receive them.

Meredith said...

My brother and sister both have the same gift-shaking talent as Randy! Last year I decided to stuff a larger box with pillow stuffing and then place my brother's gift inside so that he could neither hear nor feel the rattling when he shook it. He never did figure out what it was before Christmas morning. :)

Jenni said...

It's good to hear that Randy isn't the hardest person to buy for...that there are others out there. Which makes me feel sorry for you, cuz it's not easy. :)

Now it's fun and funny to add extras to his gifts to keep him from guessing correctly. I won't say what I put in a little gift this year cuz he'll read this. But he did feel it and didn't have any idea. :)