Thursday, August 09, 2007

No baby yet--getting sick of that title??

The nesting has begun. It started slowly and slightly forcefully with having to clean out our master closet and linen closet. It wasn't by choice but it felt good having it done. Last week I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to do around the house. The house felt very dirty and needed a basic cleaning. Randy helped take care of that on his day off last Monday. Tuesday I cleaned out the kitchen pantry, threw old stuff away and re-organized. It wasn't on my list but it felt so good to have finished. Other places that tend to get cluttered are currently uncluttered like the laundry room, kitchen table, etc. Not only is our laundry done but it's also put away! The spare bedroom has fresh sheets, waiting for family members that are waiting for the phone call. I laughed last week after hearing my father in law has his bag all packed and ready to go. I don't even have my bag all ready to go!

Last night I put the infant car seat into the van. I put up the mirror so we can watch him while driving. Yeah, that doesn't sound safe, a better way to put it would be that we can peek at him while at stop lights. His bassinet is ready, his changing table has a new fuzzy pad, and his clothes are organized and waiting. The waiting game is in full effect.

I am feeling good. Nothing to complain about. Okay, maybe something. But I've frequently complained throughout my pregnancy...it's the comments. They don't stop. Just once can't someone be surprised that I'm pregnant or say "wow, you only have a week left? I would have thought you were only 6 months along." Nope, my big baby belly is an open invitation for all (strangers, co workers, friends, HUSBAND) to comment about how I could pop at any time. If only it was that easy...pop...out comes a baby.

I still enjoy my baby belly, his kicks on my upper right side, his little nudges on my lower left side, his full body movements that send a ripple across my belly, his hiccups. I love it all. Last night Randy had his hand on my belly, just waiting for another kick, when he felt a braxton hicks contraction. To go from feeling a baby kicking to the feeling of a contraction shocked him. Many times before I would grab his hand to get an idea of how hard my stomach can get with each (light) contraction but last night he was able to feel it happen from start to finish. Men aren't made to have babies for a reason (or 15 million good reasons) but it's also sad that they can't experience feeling a baby move from the inside. Randy feels movement all of the time but it's not the same. I am very lucky.

We think Lily is starting to understand a little more about having a baby around. We talk to her frequently about the new baby who will be coming home with us. She loves it when I tell her a baby says "WAAAAAA" and laughs every time. During story time one night I was snuggling with her while Randy was reading and I put her little hand on my belly cuz baby boy was kicking. She kept her hand there so I kept my hand on top of hers softly. After a couple minutes I moved my hand and she grabbed it and put it back on top of hers. Recently she started sharing food with my tummy. She might not always share with me or her poppa but she'll share with baby boy. I think she knows she gets to eat it that way.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Well, I think you barely look pregnant at all. :) Looking forward to the post where you list some of the 15 million reasons, too!