Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Older Brothers

Today is my older brother’s birthday. I always, always, always have to throw in “the older brother.” Jay is a little over 3 years older than me. My first memories of sibling rivalry came when my little brother, Brian, was born. We have these wonderful family photos of all the kids together on the day Brian came home from the hospital. Except I have big teary eyes and Jay is tending to his own arm wounds. Yes, we fought for first dibs on holding the new baby. For the most part, probably due to the 3 years between us, we did our own thing and got along pretty well. I was the dorky little sister that tagged along to his birthday parties with all his cool friends. When we lived on the pig farm (did ya’ll know that about me??) I recall one birthday party where all the cool boys and myself ate mom’s homemade pizza. I also recall another birthday party at Burger King. We wore the awesome paper crowns. Before he sounds like a really nice big brother I need to paint the picture of one eventful day…the day I thought I was going to die… at the hands of my brother. It was a beautiful day and Jay and I were outside playing on my grandma’s farm. Jay climbed up on the shed and decided to shot his bb gun. When I refused to throw rocks for him to shot at, I turned to walk back towards the house, when all of the sudden I hear the bb gun fire and then I see my own blood. My brother shot me…in the head. Okay, it was just the ear and it just grazed my ear but still. I was only 6 or 7 so I totally thought I was going to DIE. To this day, Jay claims he was just trying to scare me by firing his gun AROUND me. Whatever.

Jay was pretty good through high school. He was Mr. Sporty and on the honor rolls. He didn’t get in much trouble (yet) so that set the expectations of me a little too high. Once he got to college he taught me some life lessons. I got to go visit him at college. He was dating his girlfriend, Cheri (now his wife and mother of their beautiful boy) and they had a party. I drank too much. I was only 16ish. The next day, on the 2 hour drive home, I found a crumpled paper cup on the floor of the car…ya know the kind from the water cooler that look like a cone. That paper cup was my friend. Between bouts of nausea I would occasionally spit in that little cup. I didn’t drink another beer for close to 8 years.

When I graduated college, Jay and Cheri were there. I know a lot of people were proud of me but I think Jay was the proudest.

A year after Jay and Cheri got married, Randy and I got married. I can’t put into words how much Jay and Cheri did for me, especially on the day of our wedding. They drove me to the hospital to see Randy’s grandpa, they took me to get my hair and make up done. They were with me the entire day, taking care of me, and I will always cherish those memories.

Jay has always been an amazing person. He found an amazing partner. They created an amazing little boy. I enjoy being around them and we have so much fun together. It is tough living apart but we make the most of time when we are together. Happy birthday older brother.

No comments: