Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Because we aren’t sick enough

I received a call from daycare yesterday. Lily had a fever of 102º and wasn’t acting her normal, playful self. Throughout the day her temp remained above 100º but she managed to play for a short time. She napped very well but was slightly irritable when awake. She let me hold her for a long time, which doesn’t happen when her toys are in sight. Before bed her temp spiked to 103.8º which is the highest ever. Tylenol and Ibuprofen were rotated and did seem to work. I did touch her ears and she barely responded to the right side, not too much at all. Randy stayed home with her today. He called me at work to say her temp was 100º but she was playing like a crazy baby. Even though her reaction to my ear prodding wasn’t significant, it bothered me so we scheduled an appointment. Yep, she’s got an ear infection. Just what she needed. Mother and daughter are both on Amoxicillin.

There might be a few of you that think I’m a bit neurotic about illnesses and germs. Well you’re correct, I am. Why would I want to put Lily in a situation where she could be exposed to these significant bugs? She already attends daycare and is constantly exposed to their germs. Why would I expose her to more germs, sicker germs?? She’s had her share of runny noses/coughs/fevers so she is building up her immune system. But just a warning, our family might not be seen again before springtime.

For some crazy good reason, Randy has survived our bugs without much problem. He suffered 2 days of a head cold but for Randy, this is absolutely crazy! He is the sick one, he got mono like a gazillion times in high school. If he’s around someone that has a bug, he is going to get it. It’s no surprise to us; we’ve come to accept it. Whatever reason Randy is escaping this season of bugs, it’s great. Lily and I need someone healthy to care for us.

2 comments:

Heather said...

SO sorry to hear about Lily! I think fevers are a bit scary even if they are a sign that the body is fighting off infection. (It always makes my heart catch a little when the bug wants to cuddle more than play when she's sick.) I hope you are both back up to par and feeling better very soon.

Staci said...

Man! What a year for the sicknesses! Get better and stay that way. (even if it means hiding yourselves away :).