Thursday, January 04, 2007

Resolutions...anyone, anyone?

This entry is in honor of New Year’s Resolutions. Some people feel the way my friend Heather does and that appears to be complete annoyance for people to wait for one day to change their lives. Other people see a new year as a fresh start. I tend to fall into the second half. Sure I’ve had the same resolution for many years which was to become healthy (i.e. lose weight) and this resolution tended to repeat itself year after year. But I’ve also joined many gyms/weight watchers during months/days other than January 1st. My resolutions last year actually made it into my bio on my blog. I can almost proudly say I completed them all. I only had 3. Almost proudly wasn’t fully proud cuz I don’t regularly volunteer. I have given myself to a few different causes throughout the year which I feel very good about—participated in the breast cancer walk and raised a few hundred bucks, signed up to renovate a home for an elderly person and had every intent to follow through but it was with my last job and well…enough said, sponsored a needy child for the holidays and went above and beyond with seeking and providing extra clothes/blankets/toys, etc., and finally volunteered happily (when no one else could imagine doing so) to be the story reader for our Christmas dinner. My other 2006 resolutions were fully met and those included cooking and cleaning more. For some time I prepare weekly meals on Sundays and this really works well for us.

A past resolution that I really, REALLY wanted to fulfill included sending birthday/anniversary cards on time. On time…not days or weeks later…or in some cases not at all cuz too much time already passed. This was about 2 years ago. I was determined. I got all important dates belonging to my aunts/uncles/cousins/nephews/nieces/parents/in-laws/etc. and organized my calendar. I didn’t make it past January. I could keep it simpler and just send out cards to my immediate family/in-law family BEFORE their actual birthday or anniversary. But that’s going to have to be next year’s resolution cuz I already messed up and forgot to call my sis-in-law, Stacy. My excuse is that her birthday was on January 1st and that was a very busy day full of football…PLUS…when we did think to call her she was at dinner with the rest of our family. Okay, okay, maybe to make Heather smile and not totally throw me into the group she discussed in her blog I could vow to make that my resolution, starting January 4, 2007. I better get card shopping.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is a seriously beautiful resolution and I'm glad you're willing to start it on a different day of the year. My family members who aren't e-savvy absolutely love getting snail mail so you just might serve as an inspiration to me to get my postal shtick together this year on their behalf. :)