Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My claim to fame...

well not really but I knew someone on Wheel of Fortune last night. Katie O. went to school with my little brother and they were good friends. And...her parents are best friends with my mom. So that's my claim to fame...a J-towner was on the Wheel.

It's snowing again. I can handle the snow and cold but it's the layer of ice stuck to my windshield that I don't like. It might also be one downfall to owning a mini van. Haha...I hear you all laughing that I just said ONE downfall. Yes, the label of being a mini van owner can be seen as a downfall but whatever. I'm over it. The mini van's windshield is sooo wide and slightly curves back which makes scraping the windshield very difficult. Add being short and pregnant enough to have a slight tummy sticking out to make things that much more difficult. Luckily Randy was still upstairs getting ready and didn't know I was outside cursing at the ice and windshield. Many times he has rescued me in his pajama bottoms and coat and forces me inside while he is the MAN and scrapes the windows. But being the WO-MAN I don't want my MAN to have to do that in the cold, I'd rather take one for the team. And I did. And I cursed the whole time.

Lily has started a new habit...not a good one. It's whining. She whines like a champion. She would win the whining competition for 16 month olds...if it existed. She will politely ask "dez" and while the 2-4 seconds pass that it takes for us to figure out what she wants and to start getting it...the whining begins. Anyone have great suggestions to stop the whining in its tracks?

Lily is the youngest child at daycare...until her baby bro/sis comes along. The other children are 2-5 years old. Three of the 2-3 year olds just became potty trained. Our daycare provider mentioned Lily showed some interest, mostly in the marshmallow reward for going in the potty,without actually doing anything that requires a reward besides saying "dez." My mom-in-law gave us a potty chair when Lily was approximately 5 months old. Even though Randy was potty trained around 10 months old I believe the gift of the potty chair was more to store rather than train our child before she could sit up. Last Sunday, before bathtime, when Lily was in her birthday suit, I got the potty chair out of the closet. She obviously knew the parts to it and immediately opened the lid and turned to put her butt on it. She needed a small boost and didn't like sitting on it longer than 1 second. She proceeded to explore the handles and evaluated the entire chair by the time I noticed she tinkled...next to the potty chair on the bathroom floor. Heehee. So much for "trying" and I think we will wait just a while longer. Don't get me wrong for those reading this rolling their eyes that I even got the chair out. I'm not looking for a trophy for mother that has a potty trained child under 2 years. Rather I was just exploring her readiness. BUT, guaranteed next time I will have marshmallows ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok, i don't have any kids, the only thing i can tell you is that yes, it is possible to potty train when your kiddy is way small....i was one of those kiddies. my mom said i couldn't WAIT to pee in the toilet. I was pottying in the toilet when i was 18 months. My brother, on the other hand...was comfortable enough is his diapers till almost 3. I think if they take an interest...let them be interested. if at first you don't succeed, try try again. good for you Lily!!