Tuesday, March 27, 2007

As I am approaching the ½ way mark in my pregnancy I have thought about how to deliver this baby. With Lily I received the epidural around 8-9 centimeters. I don’t think it helped. I felt everything. It hurt. I felt the pain and pressure and even felt the lidocaine injection and stitches afterwards. Lucky for me I didn’t care at that point, I had a new baby girl to look at. They could have done just about anything and I would have smiled and said “okay”. I probably would have giggled too but I still felt every swipe of the needle stitching me up. Every swipe. Basically I felt like I delivered naturally. I went into that delivery knowing I wanted the epidural but I tried to stay open minded...just in case. That didn't work out so well. When it was discovered my labor progressed faster than expected my labor nurse made a bold statement that I didn't have much longer and I could do it naturally. I don't know if I even responded to her, if I did I likely threw her a nasty look that translated my overwhelming desire for an epidural. I thought I was more open minded for the possibility of not getting an epidural but obviously I wasn't. I tried to prepare myself that maybe my labor would be fast because my sister-in-law had 3 babies that shot out of her about as fast as her husband was paying for chinese food in the hallway. But that was my sister-in-law and well, you could barely tell she was pregnant when she was 9 months along. With my balloon belly (don't get me wrong, I loved my balloon belly) I didn't compare our pregnancies too much and didn't put too much thought into comparing our deliveries either.

I like the idea of having a natural childbirth mainly for the ability to move around. Once you get the epidural you have to stay in bed. Although there are limits to moving around due to monitoring the baby which I am just peachy with. I’ve been a baby nurse…ya know the one that comes in time for the grand finale to welcome the new one with fierce towel wiping (we do this because we like our newborn babies crying and pink). It's very important to know the status of the baby throughout labor. They are affected by every contraction and can react in ways baby nurses don't like to see. So I know the importance of monitoring the baby throughout delivery.

I want things to go as smoothly as possible, who doesn’t right? Although my decision at this time is to get the epidural I still read up on both topics. Mostly cuz I know each delivery is unknown…unknown when it will happen and the course that it will take. I will try and stay open minded about EVERYTHING. Even if I required a c/s I have faith and trust in my OB that it would be necessary. I really, really don’t care how I deliver, it’s the watermelon sized reward that matters.

There is A LOT of heated debate about having a natural delivery vs. a delivery with an epidural. Just like breast feeding vs. bottle feeding. I could care less what each person thinks is the BEST. It’s funny to me how one person can be so judgmental and put others down because their way it the BEST. Anyhow, at least it causes me to roll my eyes (I’m good at this) instead of getting my blood to boil. I don’t care. I try to support every one of my friends/family in their decisions. Even if I choose an alternate way…it doesn’t mean my decision is better than someone else's. I really hope all my friends know this and that I will always support them in their decisions. The following is a comment from a pregnancy website I often read. The article was about natural childbirth and this was the very first comment. As you read, especially the end, imagine my eyes rolling, over and over.


"Hi, I have been reading some of your stories and most of them are great. However it upsets me when I read or hear peoples comments putting down natural childbirth and the women who choose not to get high during delivery. It's childbirth, it's supposed to hurt. My husband has been told people who have babies at home are just stupid. Well excuse me, but women have only been delivering in hospitals for less than a century! Women who have babies at home naturally are truly strong, I speak from experience. I have a very low pain tolerancy yet I was able to deliver a 9lb. 10 oz. boy at home with no meds. I tore and required stitches, yet I would not have done it differently and am about to have my second child at home. Ladies, don't be discouraged by what other people say. Those who choose drugs can't appreciate what god has chosen for them and it makes it all to easy for some to keep having kids they can't care for. I know we share a special bond with our children because of the level of difficulty it took to bring them into the world that no woman who didn't feel it could ever understand."
-- Jessie

4 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the blogroll additions. I will have fun reading the other mamas' work. :) I'm totally with you in terms of delivery thoughts. There was NO evidence that I would need a c/s ahead of time. I feel so lucky that I didn't get all committed to natural childbirth because that way I wasn't disappointed, just happy with the "watermelon-sized reward." Hearing her cry the first time was one of the best moments of my entire life, even if I was so drugged up the memory is a little fuzzy. :) I actually found the last quote a little funny, it's as if mothers don't suffer enough we won't appreciate our kids!

Jenni said...

I think I'm more open minded about having a c/s than have a natural delivery. Sounds a little silly. I guess coming from the hospital setting I know the importance of intervention. Some isn't always necessary but having a OB you trust is so important. Your comment about hearing the bug cry made me tear up. Ah, pregnancy!

Staci said...

That comment made me cringe. I don't know why people have to be so judgemental about others' choices. It would be one thing if it was a clear question of safety of the child - I strongly object to women who smoke while pregnant, for instance. But whether you choose to have your baby at home or in a hospital, with an epidural or naturally, what difference does it make. I can tell you that I barely felt labor with Marianne after about 4cm because I was totally overdosed on my epidural, and on the other hand I was drugged but still felt some of the pain with Ruth, and incredibly, I love them both. Shocking, I know. And I sure don't appreciate Ruth MORE for that pain. That's just crazy talk.

I'll stop now. I could go on and on.

meredith said...

I don't even have a child yet, and that comment still made me roll my eyes! Why is it that some people seem to find it so necessary to be so judgmental about something that is, in nearly all cases, a personal choice? I find that so frustrating, and it seems like people do it more and more lately.