Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Lily's way or the highway

Yes, we are dealing with Miss Independent to the fullest. I believe the 16 month old behaviors we dealt with last evening are the start of the terrible two's. It began as we were leaving daycare and ended once she closed her big, brown eyes. As we were heading to our van Lily decided she wanted to walk instead of being carried. But once we arrived at the van she wanted to keep going. When I attempted to put her in the car seat she freaked. She was NOT happy. I tried to calm her down for a few minutes but I was only able to calm her ENOUGH to put her in the car seat. She never really cheered up during the car ride home (5 minutes total but it seemed like 75 minutes to me!) and continued to throw her fit after we arrived home to a surprised Randy. I was expecting her to jump into his arms but she wouldn't let me put her down. Finally we managed some laughs and smiles after we let her get crazy outside. I think she has spring fever or hopefully just a case of the Mondays. I'm trying not to anticipate day care pick up today but I have thought about my plan of action. I have a bag of tricks up my sleeve if necessary. Also, I've been meaning to read a parenting book called Toddler Wise. I already read Baby Wise and followed a few recommendations and they worked really well. Mostly they recommend routines, not rocket science, but routines work. Before having Lily, I was babysitting a 8 month old and I followed the parent's bed time ritual. To my surprise (I've done a lot of babysitting in my time) the little tot went to bed, awake, without a problem. They followed the recommendations of Baby Wise. The co author is also a pediatrician that I used to work with and belongs in the practice of Lily's pediatrician. Off to do some reading...

One quick note...we are headed to Chicago tomorrow and won't return for a few days. It's my first work conference that I've been to, paid to go, and everything is paid for!!! Yahoo!!! It's not Hawaii or Scotland but at least it's not Denver. Randy and Lily are coming along and plan to hang out at the pool and meet friends for lunch. We have some great friends in Chicago that we will stay with after my conference ends. Lily will get to hang with Jack who is a few weeks younger than she is. We have never met Jack and they have never met Lily so a lot of fun is expected! If you haven't heard from me then no worries, I will be posting bright and early Monday morning.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats on your trip to Chi-town! Have a blast. I'll look forward to hearing your travel stories when you get back.

Staci said...

Ruth screams bloody murder when I try to put her into her carseat after daycare. I discovered that if I let her be independent and climb into the car and seat "on her own" (with some sneaky boosting from behind from me) that she'll get in and settle. Of course now if I'm in a hurry I have to deal with a total freak out when I try to put her in myself.

I hope you're having fun in Chicago!!